The Accademia Theater was built, on a project of the udinese architect Andrea Scala, in the short period in which Conegliano was under the Austrian dominion.
Great live shows, with a greater presence of music and dance, close to the prose season which has assumed in the last years results of notable excellence.
Gianbattista Cima (Cima da Conegliano)
For a long time the name of Giambattista Cima is identified with Conegliano’s one, his native town.
Cima reflects in his works the values of the Italian Renaissance that aimed to detach itself from the past (the Middle Ages) and evolve with a conscious comparison with the canons of the classical world.
Via XX Settembre the Cathedral (XIV sec.)
Of fourteenth-century forms, with a beautiful Gothic portal. Altarpiece of G.B. Cima (1493, “Madonna in throne and Saints”). The upper “Scala dei Battuti” preserves some admirable frescos of venetian and lombard school the XV and XVI century.
From the tower of this fortified system, you can admire a 360° panorama, that extends itself, in the clear days, up to Venice toward the south, to the east up to the Italian borders of the Alps Carniche and to the north the Dolomiti Mountains. The museum represents the historical evolution of Conegliano, every floor of the tower describes a historical period.
Opening time of the Museum: 9-12, 14-17.30(winter) and 15.30-19 (summer); closed on Mondays
Door “Leone o Monticano”
Very important door from the strategic point of view because it watched the access of the city from the part of the Monticano’s river. On the external façade the lion of S. Marco’s fresco attributed to the Pordenone, and on that inside one a stone, copy of that chiseled by the French in 1797, today in the lapidary of the Castle.
The San Salvatore Castle (Susegana)
The first document that certifies the presence of an administrative entity to Collalto goes up again only to 1138. It is an eighteenth-century copy of the count Alberto’s will, in departure for the Saint Sepulchre, that mentions the castle and it assigns important donations to the church of Collalto.
Molinetto della Croda (Refrontolo)
1600′s native rural architecture, has been rehandled many times always doing its mill function. The foundations of the building lean on the naked rock that also characterizes the spectacular “small fall” that with its water makes the wheel turning (from here the name). Working until 1953, then has been for many years uninhabited and in state of abandonment until almost the limit of the destruction. Purchased by the Refrontolo’s Commune, this has faithfully been restored, particularly it has been reconstructed in scrupulous way the great wheel in wood and all the gears, always in wood, of the inside millstone, now available for the public.
San Martino’s Castle (Vittorio V.to)
It’s an important defensive construction, which first building dates between the V and the VI century when, from a simple Roman fortification, it was turned into a residence of the regent Duke. After the destruction of Oderzo in the year 665 by the Longobardis, the Castle also became an Episcopalian Center.
When unexpectedly the Frenchs of Carlo Magno arrived, and declared the decadence of the dukedom, began the period of the Frank County of Ceneda, whose regents had full temporal power. This lasted until 994, year in which the spiritual and temporal power melted togheter in the figure of the Bishop – Count Sicardo. The castle, after the destruction by th Ungaris, was restored in 1420 by the Bishop Correr. In 1866 it passed in private hands to be almost immediately repurchased by the Bishop Sigismondo Brandolini that turned it into one of the most beautiful and prestigious Episcopalian residences in Veneto.
The first documents talking about the abbey date back to 1127, in 1170 it received as a gift from the Da Caminos many possessions in the valley, after the monks did many jobs of reclamation in the acquired grounds. After a period of comfort, the decline of the abbey arrived with the bad management, and with the Serenissima in 1771 the passage of the goods to the “camandolese” monastery of St. Michael of Burano. In the Napoleonic period the building becomes municipal.